The Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education is an innovative and dynamic department within the College of Education. The department offers NCATE - accredited undergraduate and graduate teacher education programs (at the main campus and at the Meridian campus) in elementary education, secondary education, special education, and curriculum and instruction. Students can pursue a bachelors degree, a masters degree, an educational specialist degree, and/or a doctoral degree.
The department's outstanding faculty possess an array of expertise in teaching and learning, most notably in the areas of early and middle childhood education; curriculum theory, design, and implementation; standards-based instruction; and teaching children with exceptionalities. Additionally, individual faculty members administer a variety of education research and service grants and contracts. The overarching goal of the department is to recruit and train high quality professional educators for Mississippi classrooms and beyond. Participants in each of the department's programs are provided extensive opportunities to make connections between research and practice and to experience interactive teaching and learning. Emphasis is placed on problem-based learning and thoughtful reflection of professional growth, particularly through the field-based experiences that are a central component of the programs.
Degree recipients are recommended for licensure by the State of Mississippi in the appropriate areas and levels. Because of the rigorous preparatory model inherent in each of the programs of study, the department is highly rated by its graduates and their employers.
Office: Allen Hall 310
Mississippi State, MS 39762
News & Events
- (Jan 29) Tenure track positions in elementary literacy View »
- (Jan 29) Mississippi Excellence in Teaching Program: CISE is part of a new collaborative program that attracts high-caliber students into education! Visit http://www.metp.org/ for more information. View »
- (Feb 6) Congrats to an MATS student! Natalie Nations, a 2012 MSU graduate (MA in English) who earned certification through our MATS program, has been awarded a regional honor for her Master's thesis! View »
- (Jun 1) PRAXIS II Preparation Workshop: PLT & Specific Licensure Area: Elementary Education View »
- (Jul 13) GRE Preparation Workshop View »